Sunday, November 7, 2010

And so it begins...

There is an innate desire to protect and nurture my child from offenders. Even verbal offenders. I watched as someone spoke to him with such obvious disdain, as if he were an aggravating lap dog. It broke my heart. I wanted to scoop him up and tell him how sweet and bright I find him. That his strong willed nature as some deem him, doesn't bother me, but that I will do my best to foster any trace of tenacity and might in him. I don't want to parent for other people's approval or good graces, but instead because the Lord has entrusted me this young life to shape and guide. I exist to teach Noah how to bring Jesus glory through words, deeds, actions- etc.

My Sister & Brother in law have three stunningly adorable, smart, and what some might call loud little girls. Maybe not loud, but one can definitely tell when they are present or not. Yet, I have not really seen either parent discourage their offspring from what is natural, age appropriate play and behavior. They are confident in their parenting; their discipline and their overwhelming love. I want to parent like that. So what if someone gives me the stink eye?! No apologies or excuses unless my child is outwardly sinning against another person, or is endangering himself. Close examination of the heart may reveal that parents often labor under their personal pride thus changing how they chose to approach parenting and it's many facets.

Most frustrating, are those who don't believe in the term 'Age Appropriate.' They balk in their brain thinking it is an excuse for lazy parents who don't discipline their children. I must confess, I've shared that approach that the child is solely the product of poor parenting. However, the Lord wants me to know humility and so I do as I learn first hand what it's like to raise a toddler.

Lord, I pray fervently, that I can have grace, patience and joy in being a mommy. Let my motivations and directives derive from Biblical wisdom and principals. Give Caleb and I the tools and aptitude to cultivate in our children characteristics that above all, honor you.

*KBA*