Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spiritual Gifts

My women's group has been going through 1 Corinthians, while simultaneously listening to a podCast from Mars Hill. I am enjoying it very much, as I think it is a highly sought after book in the Bible, and of course, I couldn't ask for a better podCast series.
We have arrived at chapter 12...and it I am beginning to see where my opinion not only varies, but could almost be taken as alarming apathy toward Spiritual Gifts. I would suggest that my demeanor derives from many years at a church that doesn't place tremendous emphasis on Spiritual Gifts-yet doesn't negate that they exist. For me, I've really been conditioned to think-it's all about Jesus...it's only about Jesus...it's always about Jesus.
I haven't really given the other facets that accompany "Christianity" a second thought. I don't care what man can do. Even if the Lord gives another person a gift, I am not taken aback by it, because I am a little more skeptical...cynical...and don't focus too much on what people do.
I want to know the heart of Christ. Yes, at the end of Chapter 12, Paul (not Jesus), directs us to desire the gifts, however I feel the gifts themselves take on more controversy, and a deep yearning by cessationists than the longing that should ONLY be for Christ himself.
I DO believe that Spiritual Gifts are important to living out the Gospel in a humble, as my friend Angie would say: "non-flashy" way. When Driscoll preached on this subject, he inferred that we can look at our lives, see our aptitudes, and probably discern our personal gifting.
We should strive to operate under the power of the Holy Spirit so much, that we allow him to convict us of how to use our gifts in certain capacities. Gifts will be different during different seasons. I grew up singing in church from age 5 until 21...and then I felt at peace about now being in music ministry and taking up a toilet scrubber at Mars Hill, and coordinating my Community Group. I have tremendous peace about where God chooses to use me in different seasons. I am (hopefully not offensively) against Spiritual Gifts Tests for a host of reasons; they could be inaccurate, people take them for gold, they focus on the individual. The Bible doesn't tell us to figure out what our Spiritual Gifts are so that we can solely rely on them to witness or live a godly life. Knowing God...deeply longing for his heart, and extending grace is the best witness of all, and the most difficult thing to do. Sure, having a the gift of discernment will allow one to choose their company wisely, or flee from evil, but it is only part of what we are called to do.
"The greater way," as Paul describes it segueing into chapter 13, is to LOVE. Because God is love. Instead of really living out chapter 13, which tells us how to love, and that we will only have knowledge "in part," Christians are often still hung up on chapter 12 and the understanding of Spiritual Gifts.
Am I wrong for being seemingly irritated by this issue? I do think there is importance around the subject, but it is not the end goal as so many churches teach. Yes, I feel it should be taught, but always as a means to point to Christ, and him crucified.