Monday, February 23, 2009

Handling Betrayal

I once heard a podCast from Pastor Matt Chandler of the Village Church in Texas, where he addressed how Jesus was fully man, and fully God. He illustrated this by describing some of the situations and emotions that Jesus had to endure, and by recognizing him as fully man, we can look to him for understanding, empathy and grace.

Betrayal.

be⋅tray[bi-trey] –verb (used with object)

1. to deliver or expose to an enemy by treachery or disloyalty: Benedict Arnold betrayed his country.
2. to be unfaithful in guarding, maintaining, or fulfilling: to betray a trust.
3. to disappoint the hopes or expectations of; be disloyal to: to betray one's friends.
4. to reveal or disclose in violation of confidence: to betray a secret.
5. to reveal unconsciously (something one would preferably conceal): Her nervousness betrays her insecurity.
6. to show or exhibit; reveal; disclose: an unfeeling remark that betrays his lack of concern.
7. to deceive, misguide, or corrupt: a young lawyer betrayed by political ambitions into irreparable folly.
8. to seduce and desert

Jesus was betrayed by Judas, and other disciples who hid and claimed not to be associated with him when Jesus was taken captive prior to his crucifixion. If a close friend, your "dog," "homie", BFF, or acquaintance breached your trust and confidence, the first reactions are likely to be hurt, anger, possibly confusion.

I have been betrayed a few times in my life...someone either rightfully, or immaturely took something that I said or did and held it against me. And instead of addressing their concerns with me they chose to slander my name, causing defamation of my character, and ultimately shaped the opinion of others regarding who I am. Without knowing my true heart. Without giving me the opportunity to be candid. I am my mother's daughter, filled with tenacity and striving for truth. I only want to be like Jesus. I want to know him, and love him, and experience his grace every day of my life.

And I have to say, it breaks my heart that there is a tremendous lack of grace and understanding within relationships. I recognize that I need Jesus, that I am not perfect, and that too often, I am the one pointing the finger and need to pull the plank out of my own eye. I get that. Humility must ensue in my development as a person and as a Christian.

Jesus was humble. Jesus was misunderstood. He was murdered because he was misunderstood. He was betrayed by a brother within his closest group of buddies.
And he handled it well...with love and compassion, and knew that it had to be that way in order for the Old Testament prophecies to be fulfilled. His suffering was by divine appointment.

So what does our offense do for us? It causes us to relate to Jesus. To know that we aren't in Heaven, and that being on Earth sucks sometimes. We are being sanctified. When I have felt betrayal the few times that I have over the years; and I'm not talking middle school drama, I'm talking about a major breach of trust, I have had to evaluate my reaction and the state of my heart in order to deal with it. I want all things in my life to point to Christ and him crucified (1 Corinthians 2:2) and choose to seek reconciliation and restitution.